At OLIPOP, we believe that a healthy relationship with ourselves and our well-being is the key to a happier, more prosperous life. And in today's fast-paced world, it's become more important than ever to prioritize our health amidst the challenges we face, from environmental destruction to inequality and more.
We all deserve to feel safe, healthy, and motivated to reach our full potential. Sadly, the mainstream food, drug, and stimulation industries don't always support this. They prioritize power and profit over our well-being, leaving us depleted and disconnected from our own natural wisdom.
That's where OLIPOP comes in: we're not just your average soda company. We're on a mission to create a bridge to a more fulfilling existence. By combining cutting-edge technology with a deeper, more insightful, and humanistic approach, we're here to be an example of a better future...
On our path to creating a better future, we fulfilled one of our biggest goals and we're proud to announce that OLIPOP is now officially a B Corp! After a lot of hard work, we've received the B Corp Certification, validating our vision of what a soda brand should be: socially conscious and dedicated to making a positive impact.
Curious about what a B Corporation is or want to learn more about OLIPOP’s mission? Keep reading; we have all your questions answered below.
What’s a B Corporation?
B Corporations are certified companies that use their business and products as a force for good. To become a B Corporation, businesses must meet extremely high social and environmental impact standards, transparency, and accountability to stakeholders, not just shareholders.
To earn certification, a company must:
- Demonstrate high social and environmental performance by earning a B Impact Assessment score of 80 or above and passing B Lab's risk review.
- Alter their corporate governance structure to be liable to all stakeholders, not just shareholders, in a legal commitment.
- Display transparency and allow details regarding their performance to be publicly available and measured against B Lab’s standards on B Corp's website.
What Makes OLIPOP a B Corp?
Since our inception, our mission of using our soda as a force for good has naturally aligned with the hallmarks set forth by the B Lab. Namely, these hallmarks include:
- We developed our healthy formulation, containing 2-5g of sugar per can, to transform American health through a refreshing nostalgic beverage that consumers can enjoy without sacrifice.
- We invest over 80% of our cost of goods sold within the United States.
- We source 25-49% of our materials and products with third-party social or environmental certification or approval, reinforcing our commitment to sustainable sourcing.
- We're conducting an LCA to identify ways to enhance efficiency throughout our Supply Chain. This will provide us with a better understanding of the impact of our products, enabling us to concentrate our efforts on areas for improvement such as incorporating more post-consumer recycled content in our packaging or sourcing more local ingredients.
Lucky us! We offer many quality-of-life perks well above the standard, including:
- Unlimited PTO
- 20+ hours of paid community service annually
- 4-12 weeks of paid primary parental leave
- And five weeks of paid secondary caregiver leave
- We commit to utilizing 50-74% of materials (by volume) that are recyclable or biodegradable. Plus, we collaborate closely with our suppliers to collect and report data on greenhouse gas emissions, offering support to adopt minimized greenhouse gas operations within the supply chain.
- In alignment with the Paris Agreement, and as part of the SME Climate Hub Initiative, we have committed to halving our GHG emissions by 2030. As a company, our goal is to achieve Carbon Neutrality before 2050. To accomplish this, we are working to minimize our emissions at every level and plan to offset any excess emissions through verified carbon credits. The carbon offsets we choose will explicitly focus on reducing or sequestering GHG emissions.
- We actively support social initiatives and implement environmental measures to reduce carbon and waste footprint.
The Road to B Corp Certification
From the start, our pursuit of a better future and the road to becoming B Corporation certified has been rooted in our mission. But what does a better future mean, and how did we establish our mission around that? Well, imagine a future where delicious and diverse nutrition is exciting and accessible to everyone. At OLIPOP, we're on a mission to make that vision a reality. No more boring meals or nothing but sugar sodas—we believe in a future where diversity in food is celebrated.
Unfortunately, we had to make this a part of our mission because our mainstream society doesn’t always support this vision. The food industry, for example, values mass production and profit over flavor, nutrition, and sustainability. This has led to the loss of precious plant and animal species and an increase in diet-related diseases and micronutrient deficiencies. But it's not just the food industry that needs a wake-up call. Many companies out there are only interested in their own gain, ignoring the impact they have on our planet and society.
At OLIPOP we're challenging the status quo and saying no to commoditization and mass production. Instead, we're embracing a mutualistic approach that’s all about flavor, nutrition, and sustainability. Whether it's with our employees, our soda, our impact on the world, or our relationships with other companies, we create a compelling bridge to that more prosperous reality. In our world, food and beverages have the power to bring people together instead of tearing them apart. We have a vision of a more prosperous future and intend to be an example of what that future could look like.
OLIPOP’s Functional Approach to Wellness
Our unique perspective on a better future doesn't just extend to our products; it's also a guiding principle that influences how we conduct our business. In the world of medicine, two powerful schools of thought clash. On one side, we have the "punch the germ" allopathic approach. And on the other side, we have the natural, preventative, and immune system approach. As a society, we have generally chosen the allopathic approach. But at OLIPOP, we take a functional approach: a systems biology-based approach that focuses on identifying and addressing the root cause of disease.
No matter how fancy our technology gets, human beings will always be human beings. And you know what that means? Everything we have, everything we do, it all comes from nature. That's why we believe in sustainable systems that mimic the genius of Mother Nature. It's all about creating the healthiest environment possible.
When we set out to make a product that supports your microbiome, we knew we couldn't replicate a caveman diet. So, we took a functional approach that's human, relatable, and delicious. We crafted a product that tickles your taste buds while packing all the ingredients you need for a thriving microbiome. And let's be honest, who can resist liquid cake?
Our humanistic and functional approach also forms the backbone of our business operations. We believe in finding meaning in everything we do. And we're not alone! Leading companies are discovering the power of purpose and how it intertwines with profit.
Our team is united by one mission: to make the world a better place with a product that supports your health and brings you joy. It’s a challenge, but we feel ready to rise to the occasion.
A Modern Approach to the Hunter-Gatherer Lifestyle
Ever wondered how our ancestors ate before agriculture came into the picture? Well, they survived on a wild and fibrous diet of plants and lean, gamey meat. But things changed with the advent of farming. Fruits and veggies became sweeter and less fibrous, and animals started devouring grains. Our diets kept evolving, especially during the Industrial Revolution, which introduced mass-produced food.
Fast forward to today, and our grocery stores are filled with highly processed, calorie-dense foods that lack fiber and nutrition. This is a far cry from what our ancestors ate for thousands of years. The standard American diet (SAD) is low in fiber and nutritional diversity, and packed with unhealthy fats, chemicals, and sugar.
All these changes have had a real impact on our gut bacteria diversity. As Americans, we host an average of 1,200 gut bacteria species, while our hunter-gatherer ancestors had around 1,600 species. Clearly, our microbiomes are suffering.
But there is hope. We can learn a lot from the Hadza people of Tanzania, Africa. These last remaining full-time hunter-gatherers have a diet that closely resembles our ancestors' pre-agriculture lifestyle. They eat meat, berries, fruits, seeds, honey, and tubers, consuming up to 150 grams of fiber a day. In comparison, the average American gets a meager 10-15 grams of fiber per day.
Unfortunately, most of us don't have the time or resources to live like hunter-gatherers. But that doesn't mean we can't give our microbiomes the nutrition they crave. That's where OLIPOP comes in. With our natural ingredients, we provide all the benefits of an ancient diet in a convenient package. Our products promote healthy digestion by nourishing your gut bacteria.
We don't stop there. We're committed to setting a new standard for natural and healthy products. That's why we've partnered with top microbiome researchers to stay at the forefront of scientific advancements. We translate their cutting-edge findings into our product development.
Sure, it would be easier and cheaper to skip the research and make claims based solely on our ingredients. But we believe in making a real impact and paving the way for a better future. So, we're taking the road less traveled because it's the right thing to do. And we hope that other companies will follow suit.
Join us in fueling your microbiome and embracing a healthier lifestyle. OLIPOP is here to revolutionize your gut health and well-being.
Grab a can of OLIPOP and join us on this exciting journey toward a healthier, happier, and more vibrant future. Together, we can change the world, one sip at a time!
- OLIPOP is now officially a B Corp! B Corporations are certified companies that use their business and products as a force for good.
- From the start, our pursuit of a better future and the road to becoming B Corporation certified has been rooted in our mission.
- Our unique perspective on a better future doesn't just extend to our products; it's also a guiding principle that influences how we conduct our business.
5 min read
Quench Your Thirst With These 8 Delicious Caffeine-Free Beverage Choices
Check out these 8 great caffeine-free drinks that will have you re-examining your relationship with coffee, soda, and other caffeinated beverages.
5 min read
Adding the Pop to Pop Culture: A History of Soda in Marketing, TV, & More
Join us for a tour of soda’s pop culture history from its humble beginnings as a medicinal elixir to its evolution into a healthier product.